Making the perfect keto friendly pizza is the ultimate dream of most of us who follow a ketogenic diet. There are a number of different recipes for keto pizza that feature almond flour or coconut flour, but this one, the best cauliflower crust keto pizza, uses (you guessed it!) cauliflower for the base. This is great because you can mix and match between the different bases, which stops you from getting bored with the same taste.
This really is a lifesaving recipe for when you are craving something naughty. I mean, that’s what Friday nights are for! Eating pizza! But because this one is so healthy, you can have pizza every day of the week if you want to! Not just on Friday! And this recipe is so good, you’ll truly begin to wonder how something so tasty can actually fit into your diet.
Let’s start with the toppings. Feel free to add whatever type of toppings you want. For example, pepperoni is a popular favorite and will help add even more protein to your diet. Or if you’re vegetarian, load your pizza up with a load of non-starchy veggies for additional fiber. We, however, decided to go with one of our favorite classic combinations: feta cheese, black olives, and onion. De-lish!
- The first step is to prepare your cauliflower for your base. You want to chop up the head of cauliflower into florets, and pop them into a blender and pulse until they have a rice-like consistency. If you don't have a blender, you can just use a cheese grater.
- Next, bring a pot of water to the boil, add your cauli-rice, and boil for about 5 minutes. Strain off the water and leave the cauli-rice cool a little bit.
- Now you want to get as much water as possible out of the cauliflower, as this will directly impact the texture of your base. If you don't get the water out it will be a softer (still delicious) base. To get the water out, pour the cauli-rice into a cheesecloth or similar, and fold the cloth around it. Now you want to squeeze as hard as you can to get every drop of water out, but be careful not to burn your hands!
- Now you should have a nice dry mixture, so pop it into a bowl and add you oregano, salt, pepper and the egg and mix it well. Use you hands and really get stuck in!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (this is very important, as it WILL stick, trust me), and spread your mixture out into your desired shape. My baking tray is rectangular so I just tend to go with that. Make the dough about 1/3 of an inch thick, with a little bit higher around the edges for the crust effect!
- Pop it into a preheated oven at 400F for about 30-35 mins. The crust should be a golden brown, and firm to the touch when done, so be careful not to take it out too early. Now your crust is ready for whatever delicious toppings you want! Since this is a keto pizza, cheese is going to feature pretty heavily! We used some tomato purée for the sauce, followed by mozzarella, black olives, some onion and crumbled feta cheese. Put it back in the oven for another 5-10 mins, until the cheese is bubbling and you cant stop yourself from eating it anymore. There you have it, the perfect keto pizza. Let us know what you think in the comments!
- **TIP** It's a good idea to make a few of these at once, and you can then freeze the bases so they are ready to go another time. When you want to use it, just take it out of the freezer, add the toppings and bake it until the cheese is bubbling. Enjoy!