Keto Southern Fried Chicken
Our Original Almond Flour Keto Southern Fried Chicken Tenders could be a bit inconsistent with the coating. They are coated in almond flour and baked in the oven. Bake them for too short a time and they can be soggy, bake for too long and they can be burned and dried out. This made it tricky for them to become a true keto KFC replacement. However, this isn’t an issue anymore.
Firstly, this recipe uses flavorless protein powder as a coating instead of almond flour. This allows you to fry the chicken instead of baking, as the protein powder gores crispy in the oil, where almond flour just absorbs the oil and goes soggy.
These keto tenders, however, are crispy, crunchy and full of flavor. If you are looking for a keto KFC fix, you have come to the right place!
The nutritional information is for this ENTIRE recipe. You could serve two with it, but you probably won’t want to share!
- Mix egg and heavy cream in flat bottom dish. Add salt and pepper. Add chicken tenders and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil of choice (I used peanut) to 375°F
- On plate pour some whey protein isolate and add creole seasoning as desired. Don't add the full cup at once unless you want a clumpy mess.
- Remove tenders from mixture and roll in whey protein powder until coated evenly throughout.
- Fry in batches of 3 or 4, Make sure they are not touching each other, for 5 or so minutes or until cooked to atleast 160°F.
- Drain over paper towels and serve with ranch, blue cheese, sugar-free BBQ sauce or whatever else your heart desires.